Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Recalibrating yourself

An odd thing I notice is that the first note I try to get in any day I often get wrong. I mean, I get up, pull the ukulele out of its case, play a note and try and sing it back and I miss. So I have to turn on the chromatic tuner and play it over and over again while pushing my voice up or down (always down in practice) until I get it. Once I've done that I can get any other note. It's as if I have to recalibrate my ear and mouth.

Something similar happens when I change key. Because I've been singing a while I can hit the note I want but I have to reset my brain as how the notes in my mouth correspond to what is on the scale and on the fretboard.

At this point I don't know if I'll have to do this recalibration exercise every day of my life or if I'll start getting it right away.

I suspect that part of it is the distance between the notes I am playing and the notes I am singing. I am singing two whole octaves below what I am playing and it is hard to hear the relationship between notes so far apart at first. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment