Saturday, March 5, 2011

More basic assumptions

I've already said this but this whole project is based on the assumption that we've already been learning for a while and have a book and maybe even took a couple of lessons. This is about mastering basics and not about starting from scratch.

I'm also assuming that we'll keep playing and practicing whatever else we have been doing up until now.  It would be no fun practicing the basics of volleyball if we weren't allowed to keep playing games. I like to sit around and play and sing a few tunes every day just because it can be fun. (It isn't always fun because I struggle with some tunes I want to play.)

I will be putting some sort of organizing tools up that will enable people who find the site to go back and follow along in order at some point. The basic organizing principle is the "week". Because I started on a Saturday, all my weeks begin on Saturday.

Finally, I should add that this singing and playing at the same time is not some wild idea I came up with myself while chewing on peyote in an ashram in Siberia. It's actually a technique used in all sorts of musical pedagogy including the Suzuki method. It helps build a hard connection between our ear and what our hands and mouth are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment