Friday, March 11, 2011

More music

As promised, here is some more practice stuff. If you click on the image you'll get a larger, easier-to-read picture.  Please feel free to print out anything you want but if you share, please give me a credit and link. Thanks.

Remember to try and make the notes flow out of the ukulele. Chopin used to tell his students to make the piano sing and it's good if we try and make the uke sing along with us. This involves a lot of back and forth getting us to hop from one note to another. It will take some real effort on our part to make it feel musical.



Half and quarter notes for counting practice.



Here is something in 3/4. Three=quarter time is, if you'll pardon my putting this in incorrect terms, a very male time. That one in ONE two three keeps coming back at you. I have a bad habit of playing ONE two three pause, ONE two three pause. We want that ONE coming in right on time every time. And we want it to flow.



Finally, here is one in 6/8. At this point the difference between 6/8 and 3/4 is mostly academic but six doesn't seem to get much attention in ukulele instruction books and I want to do my little bit to correct that. To carry on my incorrect metaphor, 6/8 is a womanly time; it's a lilting, swinging time with lots of potential for subtle shifts in the accents. I'm not very good at all at six and I want to fix that.

It's in 6/8 so remember quarter note gets two beats, dotted quarter gets three beats and the eighth note gets one.

No comments:

Post a Comment