Monday, March 28, 2011

Monday Tune

Cowgirl tuning
Speaking of inauthentic tunings, I've been playing around with A tuning. I've read that Cliff Edwards used this one but I've never seen evidence of it. However, Joel Eckhaus definitely uses it on his tenor and so does a guy named RJ Culp. That's his video below (recorded in the bathroom, the poor man's echo chamber).

Why do I call it Cowgirl tuning? Because it gives the tenor a nice throaty sound without becoming so guitar like it stops sounding like a uke. It's almost a cowboy sound with a certain ukey sexiness. It doesn't boom the way putting low-G on a tenor does and it has easier reaches than the baritone. (Plus, if you used the same tuning but with a low fourth string on your baritone it will be reverse cowgirl tuning!* I ought to be ashamed of that ...  and yet I'm not.






*That ought to bring some disappointed searchers. Bah ha ha .....

No comments:

Post a Comment